Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Doggie torture

I started Ely on diet doggie food. I feel like a total shit. She just acts so hungry all of the time! But I figured she's exercising less and getting more treats with training, so it's a good idea. I'm waiting for her to bite me. That's what I would do if I was eating a third less calories a day. She's being pathetic, like I'm starving her, I would just bite someone. At least snarl a little. As usual she's a good sport. In solidarity (well maybe not wanting to get diabetes and die), I'm cutting some of my calories. I'll try not to bite anyone.

I put the child lock under our kitchen sink so Ely couldn't eat the trash. Well, I got home a couple of days ago and she had gotten under the bathroom sink and pulled out the bathroom trash (this is historically her favorite, mmm used tissues and feminine products). I cleaned that up and had to leave the house again. Came back and she had gotten into my bedroom trash. This little can is mostly paper stuff and has a lid on it so she can't eat the tissues. A lid! It was in a corner, behind a box fan, and my clumsy blind dog got the lid off and her face in the trash! Though, this whole trash thing is annoying and frustrating, I think it's good her nose is working so well. For a time, I'm not sure her other senses were picking up the slack.

Because of everything going on, we've had to postpone a few grooming appointments. While at the pet store, I picked up some of the waterless bath stuff for pets. Now, I know at this point many of you are thinking, "why doesn't she just give her dog a bath?" I'll tell you why. Our bathtub has shower doors. So I can't give her a bath because she just goes to the end of the tub, behind the shower doors, out of my reach. It also hurts to lean on the door tracks. Last time I gave her a bath (it was an emergency, she had gotten into some serious stink) I had to get into the tub with her. The tub is not that big and I emerged looking like I was wrangling a tiger. During this bath, she managed to nose open the closed shower door and scramble half way out. She can be quite agile when it suits her purposes. Moral of the story: Not giving her a bath now that she's blind. Freak out central. She didn't even like being sprayed with the waterless bath.

But, she's a bit cleaner.

2 comments:

  1. so maybe i'm a bad pet owner, but i gave my cat an electrical cord to chew on so he wouldn't chew up all my good ones. so what i'm suggesting is to give Ely her own trash can to root around in. want to hear an even worse suggestion? if she gets dirty, tie her up outside and spray her with the hose.

    she may not like the changes but she must appreciate the extra attention. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete