Friday, October 2, 2009

Always Something New


I'm not sure where to begin this post, so I'll start with the thing that had me laughing the hardest this past week. My closet doors are on a track and open in the center. They were opened about a foot if not less. Ely, for whatever reason, stuck her head in the opening. I giggled and said "Ely, come back." The opening was just wide enough to get her head in, but when she turned it a tiny bit, she was stuck. Then of course she got scared (not as funny) and kept trying to back out but not being able to figure out how to move her head. I had to get up and open the doors for her.

Ely's been taking steroids and has been drinking at least three bowls of water a day! She'd barely get through two with another dog around. Since she's been having a peeing on the carpet problem, I've made her stay outside during the day. This, for whatever reason, makes me paranoid. I worry something with happen to her. In truth, it's probably the funnest option for her. I put a doggie bed under the porch, her water, and I've been leaving her with treats. For those of you that have known Ely for awhile, yes, she typically drags her doggie bed all over the yard in attempts to "get intimate" with it. For some reason, this folded piece of old egg crate doesn't tempt her so. (Thanks Tobey's Mom!) I've resurrected the Kong, something loved by dogs world over, except of course, Ely. Now that she's more food focused, she's a bit more into it, but still didn't totally clean the spoon full of peanut butter out of it.

After looking at barriers for our huge kitchen opening, I've decided a crate is the way to go. My darling friend P has graciously donated a large kennel to the cause, that I'll be picking up this weekend to get the crate training started.

We went on a couple of walks this weekend and little Ely is doing amazingly well! She stays by my side, listens to my warnings, and is very confident. It's such a joy to see her like that. Neither of us ran into anything! On one of the walks it began raining. Pouring really. She wasn't that pleased and stopped at first. I eventually got her to walk/jog briskly with me back to the house.

The other milestone this week was the first trip to the groomers, A.B. Luckily, we've gone there for years and Ely knows her well. I told Ms. Clips to call me if it wasn't working and feel free to muzzle Ely. No one has ever had to do that before, but I really just don't know what to expect. I waited all day without a call, when Ms. Clips called to tell me she was done, she said Ely was LESS anxious then she usually is! Go figure. And of course, as one of you commented, Ely is radiant.

No comments:

Post a Comment