Wednesday, October 14, 2009

the crate...

So, our good friend P, gave Ely and I a dog crate. Originally I wanted to stick it in my room so Ely could be inside. Well, this this is Great Dane size! In fact, when trying to lure her into the crate, my roommate (officially world's best roommate) crawled in himself. He could sit up and Ely completely fit in there as well. I could have probably crawled in too! This thing is huge. Needless to say we've put it on the back porch. When she ran outside, after we placed the crate on the porch, she ran right into the side of it. Awesome, good first introduction. Then she turned around. And did it again. I don't think I'm too concerned about Ely being outside in the winter, she does have a fur coat and now a fleece lined crate blocked from the elements. When I leave her outside I give her a Kong with cheese whiz, a chewy, or her treat ball in the crate. She goes in there for the yummies.

Unfortunately, she's still been peeing in the house. The other night, Roommate and Tobey's Mom were in the living room, I was in the den. Ely mostly laid in the den with me and when I didn't see her, I would call for her to come. Yet, she still had time to pee in the roommate's room. TWICE! She had plenty of opportunity to let me know she needed to go outside and she knew not to pee in the living room in front of anyone. This makes me think she's doing this on purpose? We've been keeping doors shut. At night, when everyone goes to bed and I'm not home, Ely has been shut into my room, where she's never peed (knocking on wood). This is all puzzling to me! Though, she did eat a tube of chapstick last night before I got back from class.

Ely finished her medicine yesterday! I'm calling Dr. Eye to see what's next. She had said if it was going to improve her vision at all I would have noticed. I don't think it's improved, maybe she can see some blobs far away? We're just not sure. I keep waking up with her chin on the bed "staring" at me. Little creepy.

Tobey keeps trying to play with Ely. She's not so sure about all of this. Sometimes she walks right into Tobey and he takes this as a play invitation. She tries a bit, but not like they used to romp. Yesterday I was able to get her to tug with a toy and she even fetched it once! I threw it close to her and she heard where it landed. Then she ran over to it, found it when she tripped on it. Hey, whatever works...

1 comment:

  1. sounds like it's comforting for Ely to be eating something. is there something she could chew on that wouldn't be bad for her? please post pictures of the crate and ely doing silly stuff. she is part chow or something right? so being outside in Oregon is probably no big deal. no amount of cold seems to bother my cat. i think i should shave him so he wants to cuddle with me.

    ReplyDelete